so, the pink and navy nursery is almost finished,
but i thought i would give you another sneak peek
at a project i completed for it:
a totally fun, easy and personal
project you can do yourself!
the nursery is for my clients 5th child.
she has 3 boys, and (now) 2 girls.
i really wanted to bring some more fabric and
interest to this wall, and i thought it would
be fun to have silhouettes of her
other children in the nursery.
the "A" is for amelia--
the new baby's name.
isn't that darling?
for this one, i simply used the font "bodini ornaments"
to get the floral shape.
the "A" is "times new roman".
i wanted the boys to be in all blue + white fabrics,
their other daughter to be in pink + white fabrics,
and the baby's initial to be in pink + navy + white.
a close up detail.
we had a lot of fun mixing up the
fabrics for the silhouettes.
i also chose to have the boys facing one way,
and the girl silhouette another.
the frames started out like this...
i bought them from a thrift store,
and they cost between $1.50 and $3 a piece.
i wanted them to be different, to
reflect the different fabrics and
silhouettes they would be holding.
okay, so there are literally dozens of tutorials on
silhouettes and using fusible webbing/heat and bond,
but here is my super quick and very stripped down version.
1.the first thing i had my client do was to email me
a side view picture of her 4 children.
2. once i had the pictures, i printed them out.
3. i outlined their faces, and made a few adjustments, as you can see.
4. next, i cut the heat and bond in the approximate size of the silhouette, and
ironed it onto the back side of the fabric.
(there is still a paper backing on the heat and bond)
5. then, i used double stick tape and attached the silhouette to the
backside of the heat and bond.
6. i cut through the 3 layers--the printed out photo/silhouette,
the heat and bond, and the fabric.
7. last, i peeled the paper backing off of the heat and bond (along with the
attached silhouette, and ironed it onto the background fabric.
we ended up not using this particular silhouette.
i thought that the fabrics were too similar, and the
silhouette didn't show up as much as i wanted it to,
so i switched fabrics, and ended up using a stripe and
a floral, as you ca see below.
i think they turned out great.
and the total cost for all 5 of them,
heat and bond
was less than
for filling up a wall and
making a fun and personal statement!